Our Finances

UNITED WAY OF DOOR COUNTY - FINANCES
 

Annually, United Way of Door County is audited by an independent auditor with Hawkins, Ash & Baptie. If you would like information on this audit, please feel free to contact the United Way office.

We are required by the IRS to complete the 990, which is the business tax return for nonprofit organizations.

Below you will find a copy of our most recent tax return. Click here to view our 2011 tax return.

In addition to our tax return, here is the information that we shared at our Annual Meeting in April regarding our financial position.

United Way of Door County’s budget for the year 2011 was $401,830. We are very pleased to announce that we stayed under budget, by almost $8,000. Because of the slight increase in the 2010 campaign we will able to increase our staff hours in 2011, to the level we had in previous years.

We are able to maintain a small operating budget because of the generosity of people such as you. We have a great relationship with businesses that are able to help us out in so many ways. We would not be able to keep a minimal budget without your continued support. We were once again very fortunate to receive very generous in-kind donations such as cases of copy paper, office space, utilities, photo copies, ink cartridges, and printing or cash sponsorships to help cover the costs of these items, thank you.

Our overhead in 2011 was 9%. The remaining 91%, $365,665 went back to our Door County community, either through funding to partner agencies or other services that United Way provided to the community.

Our income for 2011 was $485,828. This included monies received from the 2009, 2010, and 2011 campaigns, special events as well as interest and gifts to cover operating costs. This also includes income for the organizations that we serve as fiscal agent.

In addition, through our endowment fund campaign we were able to immediately invest over $4,000 in our endowment fund through cash donations that have been restricted for this fund. We secured two planned gifts in 2011, for a total of $20,000.

We are currently serving as the fiscal agent for the Door County Alcohol and Other Drug Coalition. In 2011, Door Tran no longer needed United Way to serve as their fiscal agent. They are now responsible for their own funds as an independent 501c3 organization. If you would like further information on the income and expenses of either of these organizations please contact the office.

We were able to keep an average balance of $42,501 in our reserve fund. Our Reserve Fund Policy states that we must maintain a minimum balance of 10% of our operating budget in this fund.