Our Community’s Agenda for Change
Door County’s Impact Goals
to be facilitated by United Way of Door County
Basic Needs: Helping to meet basic needs for food, transportation, housing, safety, and jobs.
1. Work to insure that the Door County average unemployment rate is less than the State of Wisconsin average unemployment rate throughout the year.
2. Decrease the number of food insecure among those who are at or below 250% of the federal poverty level.
3. Decrease the number of individuals in unsustainable housing, based on calls/reports made in 2010
4. Make Door County safer for vulnerable populations (older adults, victims of domestic and sexual violence, mentally and physically challenged, shut-ins, and the families of these specific populations) by enhancing the safety services available to them by 10% by 2014.
5. Provide access to public transportation services to 15% more individuals than in 2009.
6. Increase access to mentoring/job coach/technical education programs for all, beginning with high school age students.
Community: Enhancing neighbors, individuals, and families to continue to build strong relationships in caring for each other and understanding the roles and challenges each faces.
1. Encourage healthy relationships among youth and young adults and encourage responsible choices by decreasing the occurrence of teen pregnancy, teens needing treatment for STD’s, and teen violence.
2. Identify and advocate for “3rd places” in communities that are safe and nurture “family” members.
3. Increase the availability and effectiveness of abuse (emotional, physical, financial) prevention programs measured by the decreased use of reactionary services.
4. Increase educational resources available to “caregivers” of adults by 5% annually.
5. Increase educational resources available to parents/guardians by 5% annually.
6. Increase the hours of available childcare for weekend, extended hours, sick, and/or summer programming by 5% by 2015 in any of these areas.
7. Increase opportunities for children to obtain school supplies and payment of school fees.
8. Maintain and/or increase the level of low or no cost “family” events based on those offered in 2010.
9. Maintain affordability of licensed childcare centers.
10. Promote personal financial stability and literacy.
Health Care: Encouraging healthy lifestyles, access to dental, hearing, mental, primary, and vision health care.
1. Ensure the provision of affordable, accessible, and available mental health care (measure reduction in waiting lists).
2. Ensure the provision of affordable, accessible, and available primary health care including vision and hearing.
3. Increase available hours of affordable dental care for adults and children in Door County.
4. Increase healthy lifestyle knowledge base of Door County residents.
5. Increase the knowledge base of early intervention methods for primary health care.
6. Promote/advocate for Door County residents to increase their healthy behaviors.
7. Reduce the stigma around mental and emotional health issues in order to encourage community acceptance and integration.
Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse (AODA): Challenging the community to embrace change in the culture involving alcohol and other drug use.
1. Advocate for zero tolerance for drunk driving and other behaviors associated with AODA.
2. Increase the knowledge base related to the effects of alcohol and other drug use.
3. Promote/advocate for community dialogue to define healthy, responsible, and appropriate alcohol and other drug use.
4. Promote programs to support individuals and their families recovering from substance abuse.
5. Focus on the impact of AODA and the role that it plays in such behaviors including but not limited to: inappropriate sexual behaviors, violent acts, impaired mental and physical functioning, and inappropriate role modeling.
6. Support local and statewide legislation that promotes cultural change in alcohol and other drug use.
Extend your caring... Please remember United Way of Door County in your will or trust, and let us know when you do.